Friday, April 27

kitsch and vinegar

since I last blogged, I've been through and to atlanta, respectively. on the latter trip, I went to deliver a paper at my alma mater, and I visited with my family, my college mentor, and my best friend from high school. since I returned, I've been processing those events, along with some new ones, and reading freud and kant. okay, so I've been trying to read kant, convinced that I absolutely need to master his writings if I'm ever going to pass my qualifying exams. my college mentor observed me with my copy of "religion within the limits of reason alone" and told me that he liked that book, and that he'd done his dissertation on kant. I shared with him a little ditty I had written:

Immanuel
Kant is with us
Relentless logician
Dead philosopher.

he looked vaguely amused, but like my own father, was probably mildly dismayed that I'd borrowed such a sacred tune. he conceded that there's not much approaching common sense in kant, and that was probably my reason for my difficulty in wading through him. I concurred. I'm still trying to read the book, but on a tip from a friend, I started over with greene's introduction, which is helpful. it's making me wonder how true piety is instilled, because I think one has to be habituated to piety in some sense, but if piety is sheerly commanded, as it was in kant's childhood, an honest soul will soon enough detect its own hypocrisy.

greene notes the equanimity that characterizes the pious. it's true: those who can accept God's will in the face of any tragedy are objectively happier than those who question. ditto for the patriotic americans who can quietly accept that their son or daughter is coming home in a box because their president told them that he or she was fighting for freedom, and likewise for the anthropologist who accepts that female genital mutilation is culturally justified and that it would be imperialistic of me to take too strong a position against it. is it not more pious to be enraged, and to try to do something about it?

I met an angry young man last wednesday. he is about to graduate from the college, and he obviously empathizes with the virginia tech shooter. his mannerisms are brusque and his conversational style combative--I suspect he feels alienated, and I am not at all surprised. he corrected my colleague and I in order to make clear that he knows all the answers, and will, in a year or two, enter a graduate program so that he can prove it. When I was his age, I thought I had all the answers, too, but I wasn't so angry. now I'm angry, but I know I don't have all the answers. I do know that I'm tired of the consequentialist logic of assuming you know all the answers in advance, and that you just have to go through the motions of filling in the blanks to get there. this, according to milan kundera, is the definition of kitsch, "the absolute denial of shit" that functions
by excluding from view everything that humans find difficult to come to terms with, offering instead a sanitised view of the world in which "all answers are given in advance and preclude any questions. (the unbearable lightness of being).
it's a totalitarian impulse that excludes the ambiguity of the world in which we live, that tries to create a false unity, when we're not even at one with our selves, and for all his unfalsifiability and fabrications, we owe quite a bit to freud for pointing that out.

stay tuned for my next installment:
the mo' meta, the mo-betta: funfetti cupcakes and why bureaucracy must be resisted.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:20 PM , Blogger lauren said...

So, two things:

1. Peter and I are trying to figure out what tune your song is set to. Are we pathetic excuses for musicians for not being able to figure it out? Is it really obvious? Please affirm me.

2. Sadly, we go to school with all kinds of people who think that they already have all the answers, and that graduate school is just a box to be checked off along the way. But I'm sure I don't have to remind you of this. Our first couple years here I used to be very angry about those people - that they felt that way, their presence at this institution, that they did well here and professors seemed to like them ... Now my anger is dulled, but still present. I just try to ignore it and function according to my own terms. But somehow those people keep crossing my path.

Um, I may or may not have published this comment a million times...

 
At 6:27 PM , Blogger ER said...

the song is "Emmanuel, God is with us"/ Blessed Redeemer, Living God. Sorry I can't provide you with the music! No, you're certainly not pathetic musicians - I *think* the tune may be more familiar to presbyterians.

 
At 8:50 AM , Blogger logossarx said...

hiya. It’s been far too long since you’ve written. Huzzah, you return!

I've been TAing for undergrads... and I've found this tendency running rampant among them. I have given it (too)much thought and much self-analysis. My tentative conclusions are:

1.I know that I, too, am the one who thinks he knows everything. It all depends on the context. When I am in class, I certainly do not. When I encounter anything regarding “religion” or “theology” that is popularly disseminated (with a few exceptions), Jesus himself would have a hard time knocking me from my high horse. Just last night I went off about someone who I am convinced does not understand the Catholic Church yet is in the position to sway the faith of someone about whom I care dearly.

2.It seems that fear is involved. Our society doesn’t allow space for growth, for attempts and failure, for humanity. People are not allowed to be wrong (by whatever standard people might determine this). They are not allowed to exhibit a lack of perfection. We are afraid to admit that we, too, might not know or might to be able to do X or Y.

3.Such a fear come from a unwillingness to forgive.

4.Such a fear of imperfection results in a lashing out at all others to show how they could not possibly be right where they disagree with us. It leads to a “universal accusation” (to borrow from Jean-Luc Marion) that proclaims our innocence and perfection at the cost of condemning others.

The scary thing is that I’m as guilty of this as the next person.

 
At 9:48 PM , Blogger ER said...

Ah, you're so right Andy, and so wonderfully humble and humbling--I'm guilty, too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home