Friday, December 8

i need a hobby, besides this

One time in college I had a friend of a friend (sort of a secondary friend) who would give me rides home from class back to my dorm. If you ever visit Oglethorpe University, you will see that the whole idea is pretty ridiculous, especially when you consider that it never even gets that cold. [Frick, I miss college!] He's one of those people who's both interrogative and judgmental, and even though he professed not to have any desire in dating me (nor I him), I could tell he was trying to size up what kind of family I came from. (Apparently, one that gets you drunk...) He wanted to know what each family member did for fun. "What are your hobbies?", he intoned. "Ummm...I like to read...stuff for school," I stammered. As I exited the car, he said some words with an odd sort of gravity that have stuck with me: you need to get a hobby.

I was no slouch in college. I worked part time, read everything I was assigned, did an internship in DC, and had a variety of "leadership roles" on campus. I got things done. I even played ultimate frisbee my first year. (I seem to have lost some of that momentum). I still enjoy things: going out to dinner/cooking with friends, watching Arrested Development and other clever shows. But when I think of my friends who not only handle work/school/religious commitments, but also develop their considerable musical talents and comedic skills, knit nifty and luxurious things, cook elaborate meals (on weeknights!) and blog extensively about them...well I'm jealous and I want to get in the game, too.

I have a sneaking suspicion that finding more constructive things to do with my time will actually make me better at the things I have to do. But my poor organizational skills and a fear of commitment to institutions and events are going to make this a challenge.

I'd like to learn to sail or do woodworking--but I think I should probably start small. Any ideas for me?

2 Comments:

At 10:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not woodworking! I don't know if this is a rational fear or not, but I'd be terrified of you losing a finger or jabbing yourself in the thigh with whatever dangerous pointy implements people use in woodworking and having to be rushed to the emergency room!!! I'll teach you how to knit, if you want! I can't guarantee that you'll love it. I taught Chef YumYum once, and although she's great at it, she really took to crochet in a way I never could... Also, your cooking is definitely a hobby! You make some mean food, ER!!!

Oh, also, you have pets. I wish I had pets! They're a hobby in and of themselves. And they're alive. Soft and alive.

 
At 11:20 AM , Blogger ER said...

you're probably right about the woodworking thing, leo - it's just that i have this really weird pipe dream that i'd like to carve chairs that resemble family members that have passed so that you could sit in their laps around the dinner table. yeah, that's really weird, isn't it?

anyway, i think sailing can be quite dangerous, too. there are many elements that can pinch and are potentially decapitating. i should play it safe. i shall think about taking up the textile arts.

jd mentioned we should think about the soul-expanding benefits of traveling to places off the beaten path that aren't necessarily "safe"--i'm not sure that qualifies as a "hobby," though.

speaking of soft and alive pets, oliver was trying to be a human last night, so he propped himself up on the corner of the couch with a pillow, belly up with his legs slightly dangling off the edge. he looked like al bundy. the cat's a trip.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home