Tuesday, December 19

30 minute meals, give or take: bring it, rachael ray

so, I was chatting with Leo last night before dinner and I ran an idea by her for an experimental meal. it wasn't terribly unorthodox or anything, but I've always had this fear of cooking canned tuna. I think that, somewhere along the way, my mom (or dad?) impressed me with the notion that tuna casserole is disgusting. I made some chilled tuna and white bean salad over the summer, and it was delightful, but last night I needed something warm--something I could whip together using the ingredients in my pantry and fridge--preferably in 30 minutes or less. incidentally, it always feels really satisfying to make "something out of nothing;" (that may be a Reichl-ism--credit where it's due, right?) I had a pretty well-stocked pantry, which always feels luxurious in itself, but a few cans later, a little chopping and sauteeing, it was like alchemy. so here's what I did:

Heated the oven to 350. I had a decent can of tuna in olive oil (Cento brand, I believe?) so I drained the oil into a pan over medium-high heat, added a diced onion, and a few minutes later, two smashed cloves of garlic. Then I shook in some dried rosemary, and added a little more e.v olive oil so everything could infuse.

Gentle readers, one day I want to soak my own beans, but yesterday was not the day. I drained and rinsed two cans of northern beans in a colander and then added them to the pan, giving them a stir. Then I turned off the heat and mixed in the tuna, plus another pack of that vacuum-sealed tuna stuff I found in the pantry (I know, it sounds appetizing, doesn't it?) along with a pinch of salt, some grinds of pepper, and a few shakes of red wine vinegar.

(As an aside, I just watched an episode of Arrested Development where Lindsay's boiling a canned ham in a giant pot of water: [Lindsay to Michael, excitedly] "Guess what I'm calling it?" [Michael to Lindsay] "Soup?" [Lindsay] "Hot ham water!" [Buster] "It's so watery, but with a smack of ham!"

I digress. So I poured the contents of the saucepan into a casserole dish. Then in a separate bowl, I added a few handfuls of panko bread crumbs, and grated a bunch of parmigianno reggiano into it. I had some "fresh" parsley in the crisper that was not looking terribly...crisp...so I gave that a rough chop and threw it in, too. Then I noticed a handful of pear tomatoes on the counter that frankly, were past their salad days. I bisected those and artfully placed them on the bean mixture, and then coated all that with the cheesy breadcrumby goodness. And then I added some butter. Yes, thin pats of butter dotted all over the breadcrumbs. That was key.

I popped all that in the oven, and poured myself a refreshing glass of pinot grigio, and plopped down to watch Scrubs until the hearty aromas of a rustic French kitchen filled the house (about half an hour later). When I took the dish out, the breadcrumbs were golden brown and everything was sizzling pleasantly.

verdict: The creamy beans contrasted nicely with the crunchy breadcrumbs, and the tomatoes were roasted and had a nice concentrated flavor. JD raved and helped himself to seconds (thirds?) Orange cat tried to steal tuna and signaled his overwhelming approval with lots of mock-aggression. Two paws up.

What's in your pantry?

3 Comments:

At 12:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! That sounds like it turned out GREAT! I'm so pleased!!! Even Oliver approves! I'm going to have to try that some time...

(nice work on the "hot ham water" reference, btw!)

Oh - check out my reply to your comment on MY blog about seeing who visits your site...

 
At 9:35 PM , Blogger Steve O said...

I made this tonight: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/4297

Verdict? Pretty solid. I added maybe twice the amount of pasta, which, incidentally, was too much. Also, don't bother adding chicken, it's a distraction from the other flavors. And maybe a little more pecans would be good. The sauce is solid though, and the pears are succulent.

Yes, I cook sometimes.

 
At 8:59 AM , Blogger ER said...

sounds good! I'm impressed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home