Wednesday, August 30

higher modalities

one of my favorite phrases from the last presidential election came from John Kerry. apparently, when he failed to fully articulate himself to his opponent, he was fond of levying the accusation that s/he "failed to understand the higher modalities of the situation." what an ingenious trump card to hold in your back pocket! (I have tried to use it many times myself on unsuspecting persons). (I imagine that now they's beginnin' to s'spect sump'n).

I am suspicious of the two-party political system in America, as well as its non-binary collegiate counterpart, social fraternities and sororities. part of this may well be my individualist nature; I resent being told what to believe and whom to befriend (although if Michel Foucault is correct, I've probably been socialized much more insidiously...there's an interesting new article about him here). one of JD's friends from college is a fascinating case study: a staunch Republican in college, he now campaigns on behalf of the Democratic party. he's an issue-voter for sure, but I can't help but think that his political enthusiasm is merely an outlet for his sociable nature (one of those "joiner" types Tocqueville praises) rather than any manifestation of idealism, lofty or otherwise (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that...)

what I resent is the increasing centrism of the two-party system to the point where the parties are hardly distinguishable. politics have certainly made for strange bedfellows, and the resultant offspring are so discordant that the purportedly big tents don't represent anyone very well right now. in large measure, one feels that s/he is compelled to endorse the lesser of two evils, or to take a principled stand and vote third-party (also known as "throwing away your vote") . the dichotomies (that is, all the various permutations of voting your conscience/voting your pocketbook, along with all the "a-vote-against-me-is-a-vote-for-terrorism" bullshit) ought to be false ones. enter cynicism and political disengagement.

the farmer-statesman is certainly a romanticized trope, but it's one that seems increasingly desirable in this age of the career politician. I am dumbstruck by the insatiable hunger for power of those in high political office, and by the parallel lust for money (and power) of those in the executive suite who use the former to their personal advantage (in case you can't tell, I caught part of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington last weekend). [If you want to read a very interesting article about income distribution in America, check this out--it will give you a good visual.]

in the last post, I alluded to a possible shift toward populism. a few nights ago, JD and I listened to a rather fascinating exchange between Senator Byron Dorgan (D-ND) and Casey Mulligan, an economist at the greatest school on earth, but an awfully dismal scientist, in my view. this was moderated by Milt Rosenberg (also a greatest school affiliate, and quite an engaging radio host, I might add). summarily, Dorgan is considered a populist by many, and has written a book entitled "Take This Job and Ship It", while Mulligan is your basic free-market libertarian. as one who voted libertarian in the last election, I am increasingly dissatisfied with that position and thought Mulligan's position was lacking...cojones. it's easy enough to trot out economic theory whenever you're asked a pragmatic question, but when he kept referencing an unlikely example involving Barcelona when every listener knew he was being asked about Baja California and Shanghai--well that's pretty evasive and intellectually dishonest, if you ask me...as usual, I digress...

I guess the sociopolitical question for me is this: is it preferable to promote a laissez faire policy of free trade with the expectation that this will "flatten" the world economically (this proposition is dubious--some argue that it will yield a "pointy" world of a fabulously wealthy few living amidst masses of the poor) or is a somewhat protectionist policy favorable? (I can't wait to read JBE's Gifford Lectures on Sovereignty, but I've already been convinced by Hannah Arendt, and Reinhold Niebuhr, and to some extent, Bonhoeffer, that state sovereignty is legitimately sanctioned in Christian ethics ). one of Dorgan's many good points was that when big businesses in america search the globe to find the cheapest labor possible, they are really promoting slave labor, undoing the considerable reforms fought for in the united states for over a century by bypassing them entirely. I do think it's unconscionable that such businesses should in any way be rewarded for doing so (via tax breaks and other political favors) and for exporting jobs that have historically paid a living wage. I certainly don't think that state sovereignty precludes our duties to those around the globe--but I think it's doubtful we'll help many raise their standard of life by lowering those of "the last great hope" (note: I'm not necessarily speaking consumption-wise).

my main reservation with populism is that it may well tend to a tyranny of the majority. according to wikipedia, the opposite of populism is elitism, and I'm all for that, too. perhaps I'm really a communitarian?

until next time, here's to striving to understand the higher modalities of the situation.

8 Comments:

At 10:00 AM , Blogger Steve O said...

The one argument I always trot out whenever off-shoring labor or illegal immigration comes up is prices. When people want more jobs to stay in the US, or fewer illegal immigrants to come in, they are usually thinking in terms of (1) wages being kept lower than they could otherwise increase, (b) the social services that illegals eat up without paying taxes (which, incidentally, is a dubious proposition in many ways), and (c) how much they dislike brown people. But I like to throw at them that, while some of this may be true, the fact is cheap labor = cheap products, and I don't mean in terms of quality. For instance, when my parents were thinking of building a house? Dry-walling down by standard issue US citizens = 2-3 times the cost of the same job done by illegals from Mexico who, incidentally, frequently do a better and faster job.

Similarly with "dependency on foreign oil".....hey I have an idea - why don't we tax the hell out of gas? This would (a) drive down consumption, which would (b) drive down car-related pollution, and (c) reduce our dependency on foreign-oil, qed. Not to mention (d) more revenue to offset our absurd deficit. But no, we want to drive! Drive our giant SUVs to the grocery market two blocks away, or to places across the city where the train might also take us, where we'll spend 20 extra minutes searching for parking! Oh, and higher gas prices would mean higher costs for consumer goods, and we want those to be cheap too.

So yeah, price deflation is, I think, the main driving economic factor for most people. They face wage deflation whenever they get a paycheck, sure, but they see price deflation every single time they buy something, which I GUARANTEE you in this country is more often than they get paid.

 
At 11:09 AM , Blogger ER said...

you are right that one way to gauge an economy is how much its inhabitants are able to consume (and this was what the economist proposed), but on a fundamental level, I think that how much they are able to produce is equally important. I think you are probably also correct to allude to the fact that so long as people are able to buy a whole lot at walmart, that they'll let everything else can slide. there's a good bit of evidence that this price deflation is about to be tapped out, however, and that prices will begin to rise while depressed incomes remain the same.

I'm not against the free market at all- I think it can be used as a real force for good: ingenuity, progress, and economomic prosperity--but I think it ought to be fair, too. (no disproportional tariffs between china and the u.s., for example). and I think the notion that illegal immigrants are willing to do jobs that americans won't is a disingenuous disservice to everyone. it assaults the dignity of doing a job well, whether it be dirty or unpleasant, and creates a pseudo-caste system for our brown friends who are already here and for those to come.

as for oil, apparently the free market is working on that one, as suv sales are waaay down this year. but if any issue is one of national security, I think it's finding alternatives to fossil fuels, but you won't see anyone in this administration scrambling to get on that...self-interest, my friend--and lots of it.

 
At 10:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, er, are you in the south now? time has slipped away from me! let me know what your plans are!

i'm so glad you have a blog - and such a political one! my one suggestion: can you make the type a bit bigger? i know, i know, i'm becoming an old lady grad student, but if you could increase the font size *just* a smidge it would help me postpone admitting my vision is no longer 20/20...

 
At 10:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:22 AM , Blogger Steve O said...

As per wages, I think they reported the other day that they'd had the first real increase in six years, so perhaps those are on the way up. And I don't think it's a good thing that the focus of most Americans is on the consumption side of the economy (note the negative savings rate in the country, the lack of retirement planning, etc), I just think that's how it is.

As per illegal immigrants and it being disingenuous to think they'll do jobs other Americans wont'....well, I think the balance of empirical evidence is on the side that they will, for now. But they don't only do those jobs - they work extensively in kitchens too (jobs which I've had) and in lawncare (which I've also done), and likely in other service sectors that I haven't worked in. I think what is distinctive is that illegal immigrants are not not not lazy, which I think a lot (most?) wage-earners in America are. I don't know if there's a cultural work-ethic perspective in place there, or if it's a matter of being grateful for better opportunities and wages here, or if it's that there's a large supply of expendable labor and so the people with the jobs work to keep them. But I'm all for the immigrants to this country because, fact of the matter is, they want to be here, which is more than I can say for a lot of other folk...

And with fossil fuels, it's not just greed. It's also inertia. If we were getting along swimmingly with the Middle East and prices were low, few would care about alternative energy (it would only be an environmental argument, probably). And since we had a relatively stable situation for the decade before 9/11, there wasn't a lot of energy. But now it's getting over the complacent hump, the one that complains about $3.50 a gallon but still pays it, and investing the billions it will take to come up with something better. That's the difficulty.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home