Friday, August 25

so I've been thinking about food.

like my good friend Chef Yum Yum (a major souce of inspiration for this blog), I too, "eat every day." much of this thinking about food has been due to the recent receipt of some long-awaited Shun knives that JD and I ordered several weeks ago. they came earlier this week, and I, being home during the day, had the privilege of opening them. amidst all the excitement, I almost failed to notice that as I hastily undid the bubble wrap around the cardboard-sheathed samurais, the pointy ends were making contact with my abdomen. miraculously, a self-administered appendectomy was avoided, and I immediately set about finding more appropriate things to slice with my new appendages. did I mention that HOLYCRAPTHESETHINGSARESCARYSHARP? I mean, they seriously feel like weapons. much of it is their razor-sharpness, heavy weight, and considerable length, but the Japanese insignia on the blade no doubt adds to their ninja-esqueness. I find myself checking to make sure Oliver is not underfoot when I’m using them. I’m thinking his days of ass-grabbing in the kitchen are numbered, but I digress…

in anticipation of the knives, I purchased the foodstuffs to make a Tex-Mex feast, out of the same yellow book to which Chef Yum Yum links you. yes, she inspired that, too. (although I contend it’s been one of the most profitable gifts for JD that he’s ever given—he agrees). I was, back in high school, a vegetarian for about four months; I’m more of an omnivore now, but I’ve been doing a good bit of thinking about eating more intentionally, “lower on the food chain,” if you will, and making more of an effort to sacramentalize meals that involve animal flesh. proudly, this meal did not.

I’ve grown really fond of chilled soups this summer (working my way through the Yellow Book, I’ve made chilled vichyssoise, and a green pea summer soup, among others). all the pureeing and straining yields soups of such saturated color and concentrated flavor. [remember when Buster communicates his love for soup to Lindsay? Amen to that, I say.] this time, I was ready for the Roasted Corn and Avocado Soup with Cilantro Oil, accompanied by the Green Chile Cheese Puff (essentially a crustless quiche/soufflé involving a block of shredded Monterey jack and a cup cottage cheese—what’s not to love about that!?)

this soup, not unlike many others, calls for finely diced onions. now onions are a very common aromatic, but they have been the bane of my existence in the kitchen. I hate the smell on my hands, and they make me cry (because they make sulfuric acid in your eyes!)—it hurts real bad!! I have gone so far as to wear swimming goggles in the kitchen (it’s a good look for me). JD often accuses me of trying to find a materialistic solution to every problem under the sun (this is probably about 75 percent valid), but between my rub-away-bar and my new knives, onions will trouble me no more. I have never sliced so effortlessly, accurately, and quickly! suddenly, cutting onion is a joy. until next time, here is a picture of my beautiful, verdant soup for your viewing pleasure, and/or inspiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home